South Devon College
South Devon College public website
Back to the start
Hospital Play Specialist

Hospital Play Specialist

“If you enjoy being with children and want to help them during a difficult time, this job could be perfect for you.”

Hospital Play Specialist

Hospital play specialists use their understanding of child development and therapeutic play activities to help children cope with any pain, anxiety or fear they might experience during their time in hospital.

To do this job you will need the ability to build good relationships with children, and their parents and carers. You’ll need to be a good listener. And you’ll also need to be able to work with families under stress.

Day-to-day duties include planning and running play, creating a welcoming environment, talking to parents and carers and carrying out therapeutic assessments.

Before you start you will have to study for a foundation degree in healthcare play specialism. To do the foundation degree, you will need a professional childcare qualification at level 3 or above.

I'm interested
*The information you share with us will allow the Helpzone Team to find the right course of study for you. They will be in touch shortly to offer free advice and guidance, working with you to get you where you want to be.

Share this to your social networks


SDC on the web