“If you enjoy being on the coast and would like to help save the lives of others, this could be the job for you.”
Coastguards are part of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) service. The MCA co-ordinates search and rescue along the British coast. It also investigates illegal shipping activities and pollution incidents.
To be a coastguard you need to be able to work under pressure in emergency situations. You'll need to work as part of a team. You will also need leadership qualities.
You would usually join the coastguard service as a watch assistant. For this job you would need a good standard of literacy and numeracy, and IT and typing skills.
- expedition skills
- outdoor pursuit competencies
- leadership and self-discipline
- health and safety knowledge
- communication and presentation skills
- team working skills
- improved IT and English skills
- Almost 85% of science, research, engineering and technology roles will require qualifications at level 3 or above by 2020
- Water and sewerage jobs are expanded to expand by 39% across the South West by 2020
- 32,000 new jobs will be created nationally in the water and sewerage sector by 2020. A 20% increase, 190,000 in total
- 100% of Noss Marine Academy students moved forward into a positive destination, including employment, apprenticeships and further study
*The information you share with us will allow the Helpzone Team to find the right course of study for you. They will be in touch shortly to offer free advice and guidance, working with you to get you where you want to be.